- the act or process of paying off or reducing debt; a decreasing of financial leverage.
- to decrease financial leverage by paying off debt: Their balance sheet significantly improved after they deleveraged.
- to reduce the debt of: He drastically deleveraged the company to make it profitable.
- an instance of this: The economic crisis has forced a deleverage.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for deleveraging
Who bore the brunt of deleveraging during the Great Recession?Spending and the Great Recession
February 6, 2013
In an ideal world, we could spend vast sums of federal dollars to balance out the impact of deleveraging in the private sector.Coming Soon: The Real Stock Disaster
May 7, 2010
- finance (of an organization) to reduce the ratio of debt capital to equity capital
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012