- any fungus parasitic on the skin and causing a skin disease, as ringworm.
Origin of dermatophyte
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a fungal infection of the skin, esp the feetSee athlete's foot
- any parasitic fungus that affects the skin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- An infection of the skin, hair, or nails caused by a dermatophyte and characterized by redness of the skin, small papular vesicles, fissures, and scaling.
- Any of various fungi causing parasitic infections of the skin, hair, or nails.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.