- (especially of plants) having the male and female organs in separate and distinct individuals; having separate sexes.
Origin of dioecious
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a variant spelling of dioecious
diecious dioicous (daɪˈɔɪkəs)
- (of some plants) having the male and female reproductive organs in separate flowers on separate plantsCompare monoecious
C18: from New Latin Dioecia name of class, from di 1 + Greek oikia house, dwelling
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Variant ofdioecious
- Of or relating to organisms, especially plants, having the male and female reproductive organs borne on separate individuals of the same species; sexually distinct.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Having male flowers on one plant and female flowers on another plant of the same species. The holly and asparagus plants are dioecious. Compare monoecious.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.