- dilating; expanding.
- Physical Chemistry. exhibiting an increase in volume on being changed in shape, owing to a wider spacing between particles.
- Petrology. (of rock) exhibiting an increase in volume owing to rearrangement and recrystallization of constituent grains.
Origin of dilatant
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- tending to dilate; dilating
- physics of, concerned with, or exhibiting dilatancy
- something, such as a catheter, that causes dilation
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012