- contrary to one's taste or liking; unpleasant; offensive; repugnant.
- unpleasant in manner or nature; unamiable: a thoroughly disagreeable person.
- an unpleasant or repugnant circumstance, attribute, thing, etc.: Bent on being cheerful, he suppressed any mention of the disagreeable in our conversation.
- disagreeables, the disagreeable aspects of a situation, course of action, etc.: The pleasant features of the arrangement far outweigh the disagreeables.
Origin of disagreeable
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. cross, grouchy, surly, testy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for disagreeable
Her disagreeable nature made it nearly impossible for her to hold down a job.Oswald’s Mother Was a Thoroughly Disagreeable Piece of Work
November 17, 2013
It was a disagreeable business and the only occasion I can remember that we quarreled.Alan Turing’s Brother: He Should Be Alive Today
John Ferrier Turing
June 23, 2012
America needs a green eyeshade party willing to do the disagreeable work of squeezing waste from the system.After The GOP Fails to Repeal Obamacare
February 4, 2012
McPherson is famously abrasive and is universally regarded as one of the most disagreeable executives in Hollywood.Showdown at ABC
April 12, 2010
Nothing much new here except for the uneasy feeling that my personal life is likely to get some disagreeable publicity soon.Norman Mailer vs. Everyone
February 27, 2009
She was lost, for the instant, in a maze of disagreeable reflection.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
It is true your task has been disagreeable, but not more so than others.A Sketch of the Life of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion
William Dobein James
"I don't think they will," and the Trainer gave a disagreeable laugh.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
"And there is one thing about this disagreeable business," said Linda.Her Father's Daughter
At last it had come (what we expect, if it be disagreeable, usually does come).A Woman Tenderfoot
Grace Gallatin Seton-Thompson
- not likable, esp bad-tempered, offensive, or disobligingdisagreeable remarks
- not to one's liking; unpleasanta disagreeable task
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for disagreeable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper