- not content or satisfied; dissatisfied; restlessly unhappy: For all their wealth, or perhaps because of it, they were discontented.
Origin of discontented
- Also dis·con·tent·ment. lack of contentment; dissatisfaction.
- a restless desire or craving for something one does not have.
- a malcontent.
- to make discontented; dissatisfy; displease.
Origin of discontent
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. uneasiness, inquietude, restlessness, displeasure.
2. See dissatisfaction.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for discontented
Nor was Oswald an irrational, discontented Dostoyevskian loner, as some depicted him.The Revolt Against the Masses and the Roots of Modern Liberalism
January 26, 2014
Silkwood was tarred as a discontented employee who contaminated herself to embarrass the company she worked for.Edward Snowden’s Whistleblowing Saga Mirrors the Karen Silkwood Case
July 2, 2013
Rowhani was elected because he was the least worst choice for a discontented Iranian electorate.Rowhani's Empty Victory
June 19, 2013
The accompanying photos made them look like crazy ladies and discontented old maids.‘The Feminine Mystique’ at 50, Part 2: Three Feminists on What It Means Today
Jessica Bennett, Letty Cottin Pogrebin, Alisa Solomon
February 12, 2013
It was this refusal which made Halbert discontented and unhappy.Brave and Bold
When they had gone Eileen turned to Linda with a discontented and aggrieved face.Her Father's Daughter
You are proud, fiery, discontented, and unhappy;—all that I see in your face.Night and Morning, Complete
Her eyes clouded, her face settled into its discontented lines.The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
Yes; but if he had not been discontented, he would have been a serf still!Alice, or The Mysteries, Complete
- Also called: discontentment lack of contentment, as with one's condition or lot in life
- a discontented person
- (tr) to make dissatisfied
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for discontented
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper