- a route, way, or course that turns at a sharp angle.
- to proceed around a sharp angle or along an angular or zigzag course: The road doglegged through the mountains.
Origin of dogleg
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a sharp bend or angle
- something with a sharp bend
- (intr) to go off at an angle
- of or with the shape of a dogleg
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for dog leg
"something bent like a dog's hind leg," 1703. Originally of a type of staircase.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper