- See under commerce(def 1).
- an interchange of goods or commodities, especially on a large scale between different countries (foreign commerce) or between different parts of the same country (domestic commerce); trade; business.
- social relations, especially the exchange of views, attitudes, etc.
- sexual intercourse.
- intellectual or spiritual interchange; communion.
- (initial capital letter) Also called Commerce Department. Informal. the Department of Commerce.
Origin of commerce
1. See trade.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the activity embracing all forms of the purchase and sale of goods and services
- social relations and exchange, esp of opinions, attitudes, etc
C16: from Latin commercium trade, from commercārī, from mercārī to trade, from merx merchandise
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for domestic commerce
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper