Origin of dorado
[duh-rah-doh; for 1 also Spanish daw-rah-th aw]
- a city in N Puerto Rico.
- the Swordfish, a small southern constellation between Volans and Horologium.
Origin of Dorado
From Spanish, dating back to 1595–1605; see origin at dorado
[el duh-rah-doh, -rey- or, Spanish, el daw-rah-th aw for 1, 2; el duh-rey-doh for 3, 4]
- a legendary treasure city of South America, sought by the early Spanish explorers.
- any place offering great wealth.
- a city in S Arkansas.
- a town in S Kansas.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for dorado
Scarcely could you say he became more at his ease, more the boon compaero and dorado.
Morales had called him his dorado, his brave little golden one!
This is the guaracapema of Piso and Marcgrave, by others called the dorado.A Voyage to New Holland
“Orange the best bait for a dorado,” said the Italian softly, as he placed the point of the hook to his satisfaction.Rob Harlow's Adventures
George Manville Fenn
The fish course included the royal sturgeon, the dorado or sword-fish, the turbot.Days of the Discoverers
- another name for dolphin (def. 3)
- a South American river fish of the genus Salminus that resembles a salmon
- a constellation in the S hemisphere lying between Reticulum and Pictor and containing part of the Large Magellanic cloud
C17: from Spanish, from dorar to gild, from Latin de- + -aurāre, from aurum gold
- a fabled city in South America, rich in treasure and sought by Spanish explorers in the 16th century
- Also: eldorado any place of great riches or fabulous opportunity
C16: from Spanish, literally: the gilded (place)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.