[dawr-is, dohr-, dor-]
- Classical Mythology. the wife of Nereus and mother of the Nereids.
- a female given name: from a Greek word meaning “bountiful.”
[dawr-is, dohr-, dor-]
- an ancient region in central Greece: the earliest home of the Dorians.
- a region in SW Asia Minor, on the coast of Caria: Dorian settlements.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for doris
You got back-cover blurbs on your new book from James McPherson, Amanda Foreman, and Doris Kearns Goodwin.What Lincoln Could Teach Fox News
November 6, 2014
It just teleports you to 1776 and forces everyone not named Doris Kearns Goodwin to piece it together as it goes.‘Turn,’ AMC’s New Series About America’s First Spy Ring, Is A Visually Arresting Historical Epic
April 6, 2014
Sure, our inner Doris Kearns Goodwin relishes spotting the words “based on a true story” in a Hollywood production.From ‘American Hustle’ to ‘Saving Mr. Banks,’ Why Is Hollywood Hooked On Embellishing the Truth?
Marina Watts, Marlow Stern
January 8, 2014
Why then has Doris Kearns Goodwin chosen to take up the story again?Wait for the Movie Version of Doris Kearns Goodwin’s “The Bully Pulpit”
November 12, 2013
"We cannot say where, due to security precautions," his secretary, Doris Bautista, told reporters in Caracas.Abdel el-Zabayar: From Parliament to the Frontlines
September 15, 2013
The first little girl to speak her piece is Miss Doris Leighton.
"I know more about Miss Doris Leighton than you think," she said, nonchalantly.
"I thought about that," said Doris with veiled eyes on Elinor's pale face.
We found it, all in little bits, along with other stuff from Doris' waste basket!
But no one was shown into the inner office except Bobbie and Doris and Sara.Glory of Youth
- slang a woman
C20: from the girl's name Doris
- a small landlocked area north of the Gulf of Corinth. Traditionally regarded as the home of the Dorians, it was perhaps settled by some of them during their southward migration
- the coastal area of Caria in SW Asia Minor, settled by Dorians
- Greek myth a sea nymph
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012