- a symbol (× or ) that raises by two semitones the pitch of the following note.
- a note or tone marked or affected by such a symbol.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for double sharp
(Sometimes also the single sharp or flat will be found by itself, cancelling the double-sharp or double-flat).Music Notation and Terminology</p>
Karl W. Gehrkens
- an accidental that raises the pitch of the following note by two semitonesUsual symbol:
- a note affected by this accidental
- (immediately postpositive) denoting a note of a given letter name raised in pitch by two semitones
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012