- to transfer (software, data, character sets, etc.) from a distant to a nearby computer, from a larger to a smaller computer, or from a computer to a peripheral device.
- software, data, etc., that has been downloaded: the best free music downloads.
- the act or process of downloading.
Origin of download
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for downloading
Going to The Ball, signing up for JDate, downloading JSwipe are all modern-day rites of passage.The Craziest Date Night for Single Jews, Where Mistletoe Is Ditched for Shots
December 26, 2014
My Beats experience has been just as frustrating as my previous forays into streaming and downloading.25 Things I Want from an Online Music Service (and Almost Never Get)
June 30, 2014
If you proceed, it will only be a few hours until some hacker in Tehran is downloading your electronic correspondence.Iran Is Using a Neocon to Hack Its Foes
May 30, 2014
Getting started can be as simple as downloading one or more tracking apps to increase awareness about your health.Hack Your Health: 6 Biohacks That Might Surprise You
December 4, 2013
They discovered this by tracking the IP addresses that were downloading illegal content.This Is Why SOPA Failed
January 18, 2013
They were easiest to solve with the whole team, downloading tons of dojinshi files and scouring them for answers to the puzzles.Little Brother</p>
- to copy or transfer (data or a program) into the memory of one computer system from a larger one
- to broadcast specialist programmes, for such groups as doctors, outside normal broadcasting hours. They are often recorded on video tapes and viewed laterCompare upload
- esp Canadian to delegate or assign (work, responsibilities, costs, etc) to a someone at a lower level of an organization; off-load
- a file transferred onto a computer from another computer or the internet
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for downloading
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To transfer data or programs from a server or host computer to one's own computer or digital device. Compare upload.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.