[ed-i-tawr-ee-uh l, -tohr-]
- an article in a newspaper or other periodical or on a website presenting the opinion of the publisher, writer, or editor.
- a statement broadcast on radio or television that presents the opinion of the owner, manager, or the like, of the program, station, or channel.
- something regarded as resembling such an article or statement, as a lengthy, dogmatic utterance.
- of or relating to the commissioning or compiling of content for publication, or to a person who does such work: editorial policies; editorial skills.
- of, relating to, or involved in the preparation of an editorial or editorials: editorial page; editorial writer.
- of or relating to the literary and artistic activities or contents of a publication, broadcasting organization, or the like, as distinguished from its business activities, advertisements, etc.: an editorial employee; an editorial decision, not an advertising one.
Origin of editorial
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for editorialist
A British editorialist called it, “mesmerizingly precious and hideously self-indulgent.”Still Desperately Seeking Susan Sontag
September 26, 2014
- of or relating to editing or editors
- of, relating to, or expressed in an editorial
- of or relating to the content of a publication rather than its commercial aspects
- an article in a newspaper, etc, expressing the opinion of the editor or the publishers
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for editorialist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
An article in a newspaper or magazine expressing the opinion of the editor or publisher.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.