[noun ee-gres; verb ih-gres]
- the act or an instance of going, especially from an enclosed place.
- a means or place of going out; an exit.
- the right or permission to go out.
- Astronomy. emersion(def 1).
- to go out; emerge.
Origin of egress
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Also called: egression the act of going or coming out; emergence
- a way out, such as a path; exit
- the right or permission to go out or depart
- astronomy another name for emersion (def. 2)
- to go forth; issue
C16: from Latin ēgredī to come forth, depart, from gradī to move, step
Word Origin and History for egressing
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper