- a cardinal number, ten times eight.
- a symbol for this number, as 80 or LXXX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- eighties, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like, from 80 through 89, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or degrees of temperature.
- amounting to 80 in number.
Origin of eighty
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for eighty
For the first year and a half of operation, they bottled only eighty cases per day, manually.House of the Witch: The Renegade Craft Brewers of Panama
November 30, 2014
Eighty percent of these abortion clinics in Texas are going to be basically out of business because of this new law.Is This the Return of Back Alley Abortions?
October 7, 2014
The cases share a kind of morbidity: A man, eighty, is pronounced dead after thirty minutes of CPR.Real Life Lazarus: When Patients Rise From the Dead
August 21, 2014
Eighty percent of women will never press charges, and in most cases, will never tell anyone.‘Brave Miss World’: Linor Abargil on Her Journey From Rape Victim to Beauty Queen to Activist
May 29, 2014
Eighty years after its publication, the eipc saga of croft farmers and their struggles is still selling steadily.Want to Write a Book? Go to Iceland
May 26, 2014
We have not seen any permanent water for the last eighty miles.Explorations in Australia
At thirty he is more than he was at twenty; at fifty more than he was at thirty; at eighty more than he was at fifty.The Conquest of Fear
They consist of three groups, and there are, in all, about eighty pyramids.
Are you a millionaire,' his face said, 'to pay eighty francs for one day's drive?
I had made a blunder in thinking eighty miles only eighty miles under any circumstances.
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and eightSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 80, LXXX, etc, representing this number
- (plural) the numbers 80–89, esp a person's age or the year of a particular century
- the amount or quantity that is eight times as big as ten
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 80 units
- amounting to eightyeighty pages of nonsense
- (as pronoun)eighty are expected
Old English eahtatig; related to Old Frisian achtig, Old High German ahtozug
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for eighty
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper