- to swallow greedily; glut or gorge.
- Pathology. to congest with blood.
Origin of engorge
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pathol to congest with blood
- to eat (food) ravenously or greedily
- to gorge (oneself); glut; satiate
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for engorges
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To fill to excess, as with blood or other fluid.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.