- Genetics. a form of interaction between nonallelic genes in which one combination of such genes has a dominant effect over other combinations.
- the stoppage of a secretion or discharge.
- a scum that forms on a urine specimen upon standing.
Origin of epistasis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- obsolete scum on the surface of a liquid, esp on an old specimen of urine
- med the arrest or checking of a bodily discharge, esp bleeding
- Also called: hypostasis genetics the suppression by a gene of the effect of another gene that is not its allele
C19: from Greek: a stopping, from ephistanai to stop, from epi- + histanai to put
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for epistasis
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A film that forms over the surface of a urine specimen.
- An interaction between nonallelic genes, especially an interaction in which one gene suppresses the expression of another.
- The suppression of a bodily discharge or secretion.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.