- the seventh letter of the Greek alphabet (H, η).
- the vowel sound represented by this letter.
Origin of eta
< Greek êta; compare Hebrew ḥeth heth
- estimated time of arrival.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for eta
Aznar jumped to conclusions, quickly blaming Basque separatist organization ETA for the al Qaeda attack.French Police Mount a Massive Manhunt for Killer of 3 Children, Teacher
March 20, 2012
Hell, they could have been the Basque ETA or the ultra right wing U.S. militia.They're Winning
December 1, 2008
Even as an Eta, an outcast, would I have loved and sought her.The Dragon Painter</p>
Mary McNeil Fenollosa
Maybe that was mean, but Eta Bita Pie is not to be trifled with when she is aroused.At Good Old Siwash
No samurai in all the thousands of years of our empire has ever married an eta!
For no goddess can be an eta—even if it were possible for a mortal as beautiful as you to be an eta.
"You become an eta if you marry her," Hoshiko's mother was saying.
- the seventh letter in the Greek alphabet (Η, η), a long vowel sound, transliterated as e or ē
Greek, of Phoenician origin; compare Hebrew heth
- (in Japan, formerly) a member of a class of outcasts who did menial and dirty tasks
- estimated time of arrival
- Euzkadi ta Askatsuna: an organization of militant Basque nationalists attempting to gain independence for the Basques, esp those ruled by Spain, until a ceasefire in 1998, by means of guerrilla warfare
Basque, literally: Basque Nation and Liberty
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for eta
abbreviation of estimated time (of) arrival, first attested 1939.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The seventh letter of the Greek alphabet.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.