- to introduce one or more ethyl groups into (a compound).
Origin of ethylate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to undergo or cause to undergo a chemical reaction in which an ethyl group is introduced into a molecule
- another name for an ethoxide
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A compound in which the hydrogen of the hydroxyl group of an alcohol is replaced by a metallic atom, usually sodium or potassium.
- To introduce the ethyl group into a compound.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.