- something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence, especially one of some importance.
- the outcome, issue, or result of anything: The venture had no successful event.
- something that occurs in a certain place during a particular interval of time.
- Physics. in relativity, an occurrence that is sharply localized at a single point in space and instant of time.Compare world point.
- Sports. any of the contests in a program made up of one sport or of a number of sports: The broad jump event followed the pole vault.
- in any event, regardless of what happens; in any case.Also at all events.
- in the event of, if there should be: In the event of rain, the party will be held indoors.
- in the event that, if it should happen that; in case: In the event that I can't come back by seven, you can eat without me.
Origin of event
1560–70; < Latin ēventus occurrence, outcome, equivalent to ēven(īre) to occur, come out + -tus suffix of v. action
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. happening, affair, case, circumstance. Event, episode, incident, occurrence are terms for a happening. An event is usually an important happening: historical events. An episode is one of a series of happenings in a person's life or in a narrative: an episode in one's life. An incident is an event of usually minor importance: an amusing incident in a play. An occurrence is something that happens, often by surprise: His arrival was an unexpected occurrence. 2. consequence.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for eventless
I once wrote "eventless;" but, on looking, found it not.Page 292 Yet why not?
Besides, "uneventful" does not mean the same as "eventless."
The two eventless months also brought the note sixty days nearer due.Dominie Dean
Ellis Parker Butler
His early history was probably as unimportant and eventless as my own.The Story of a Country Town
Edgar Watson Howe
For it is impossible that life, in whatever conditions, can be eventless.Once Aboard The Lugger
Arthur Stuart-Menteth Hutchinson
- anything that takes place or happens, esp something important; happening; incident
- the actual or final outcome; result (esp in the phrases in the event, after the event)
- any one contest in a programme of sporting or other conteststhe high jump is his event
- an occurrence regarded as a bare instant of space-time as contrasted with an object which fills space and has endurance
- an occurrence regarded in isolation from, or contrasted with, human agencyCompare act (def. 8)
- in any event or at all events regardless of circumstances; in any case
- in the event of in case of; if (such a thing) happensin the event of rain the race will be cancelled
- in the event that if it should happen that
- to take part or ride (a horse) in eventing
C16: from Latin ēventus a happening, from ēvenīre to come forth, happen, from venīre to come
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for eventless
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with eventless
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.