- stirred emotionally; agitated: An excited crowd awaited the arrival of the famed rock group.
- stimulated to activity; brisk: an excited buying and selling of stocks.
Origin of excited
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. ruffled, discomposed, stormy, perturbed, impassioned. 2. eager, active, enthusiastic.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- emotionally aroused, esp to pleasure or agitation
- characterized by excitementan excited dance
- sexually aroused
- (of an atom, molecule, etc) occupying an energy level above the ground state
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for excitedness
1650s, "magnetically or electrically stimulated;" modern sense of "agitated" attested 1855; past participle adjective from excite. Related: Excitedly.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper