- marriage outside a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare endogamy.
- Biology. the union of gametes of unrelated parents.
Origin of exogamy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for exogamous
In Raigarh the Bhuiyas appear to have no exogamous divisions.
The equivalent Anumolla occurs as an exogamous sept of Kamma.
Among the Vallambans these karais are exogamous, and run in the male line.
Each of these is further sub-divided into clans (kiriyam), which are exogamous.
They recognize no endogamous sub-divisions, but have exogamous septs.
- sociol anthropol the custom or an act of marrying a person belonging to another tribe, clan, or similar social unitCompare endogamy
- biology fusion of gametes from parents that are not closely related
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for exogamous
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Sexual reproduction by means of conjugation of two gametes of different ancestry, as in certain protozoan species.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.