- marriage outside a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare endogamy.
- Biology. the union of gametes of unrelated parents.
Origin of exogamy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for exogamy
See the authorities cited by Frazer in Totemism and Exogamy.Introduction to the History of Religions
Crawford Howell Toy
Even in such cases we find transitions to the next form of exogamy.
When capture disappeared, the exogamy to which it gave rise remained.
This represents the exogamy which is associated with the totem.
Andrew Lang declared himself in agreement with this explanation of exogamy.
- sociol anthropol the custom or an act of marrying a person belonging to another tribe, clan, or similar social unitCompare endogamy
- biology fusion of gametes from parents that are not closely related
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for exogamy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Sexual reproduction by means of conjugation of two gametes of different ancestry, as in certain protozoan species.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.