- to sell (a commodity) under a fair-trade agreement.
- to sell a commodity under a fair-trade agreement.
- subject to or resulting from a fair-trade agreement: fair-trade items; fair-trade prices.
Origin of fair-trade
First recorded in 1940–45
- trade carried on under a fair-trade agreement.
Origin of fair trade
First recorded in 1715–25
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the practice of directly benefiting producers in the developing world by buying straight from them at a guaranteed price
- (as modifier)fair-trade coffee