- widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character; renown; public eminence: to seek fame as an opera singer.
- common estimation or opinion generally held of a person or thing; reputation.
- Archaic. to have or spread the renown of; to make famous.
Origin of fame
Examples from the Web for fames
As if fames were the relics of seditions past; but they are no less, indeed, the preludes of seditions to come.Essays
The dropping fire which had been exchanged between their partisans kept their names and fames before the public.The Memoirs of Count Carlo Gozzi
Count Carlo Gozzi
It is that side of its duty which presents to us its characters who have written their names and their fames in fire.
The only other entry, until the Tudor period, is fames magna in Hibernia in 1410.A History of Epidemics in Britain (Volume I of II)
Of your gracious fauor I despaire not, for I am not altogether Fames outcast.
- the state of being widely known or recognized; renown; celebrity
- archaic rumour or public report
- (tr; now usually passive) to make known or famous; celebratehe was famed for his ruthlessness
Word Origin and History for fames
early 13c., "character attributed to someone;" late 13c., "celebrity, renown," from Old French fame "fame, reputation, renown, rumor," from Latin fama "talk, rumor, report, reputation," from PIE root *bha- (2) "to speak, tell, say" (cf. Sanskrit bhanati "speaks;" Latin fari "to say," fabula "narrative, account, tale, story;" Armenian ban, bay "word, term;" Old Church Slavonic bajati "to talk, tell;" Old English boian "to boast," ben "prayer, request;" Greek pheme "talk," phone "voice, sound," phanai "to speak;" Old Irish bann "law").
The goddess Fama was the personification of rumor in Roman mythology. The Latin derivative fabulare was the colloquial word for "speak, talk" since the time of Plautus, whence Spanish hablar.
I've always been afraid I was going to tap the world on the shoulder for 20 years, and when it finally turned around I was going to forget what I had to say. [Tom Waits, "Playboy" magazine interview, March, 1988]