- seeing objects at a distance more clearly than those near at hand; hyperopic.
- seeing to a great distance.
- wise, as in foreseeing future developments: a farsighted statesman.
Origin of farsighted
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
3. foresighted, farseeing, prescient, discerning, prudent, perspicacious.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for far-sighted
We are lucky that so many were, like Lange, smart, even-handed, and far-sighted.HIV’s Greatest Foe Went Down With MH17
July 18, 2014
How can we be so far-sighted as to miss the obvious things right before us?How Big Oil Conned Obama
May 31, 2010
On the surface, the bill sounds libertarian, albeit in a far-sighted Blade Runner sort of way.Antichrist Fears Win a Vote in Virginia
February 11, 2010
Thrifty and far-sighted, as witness the good ten thousand in cash.Gigolo
The rank and file were neither so far-sighted nor so moderate.Lectures on the French Revolution
John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton
But Father Gregory, whose old eyes were far-sighted, had seen it all.Long Live the King
Mary Roberts Rinehart
But Kociuszko was too far-sighted to content himself with promises.Kosciuszko
Monica Mary Gardner
However, you have been far-sighted in fixing beforehand how far I am to go.The Letters of Cicero, Volume 1
Marcus Tullius Cicero
- possessing prudence and foresight
- med of, relating to, or suffering from hyperopia
- another word for long-sighted
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for far-sighted
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Able to see distant objects better than objects at close range; hyperopic.
- Capable of seeing to a great distance.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.