- causing or apt to cause fear; frightening: a fearful apparition.
- feeling fear, dread, apprehension, or solicitude: fearful for his life; fearful lest he commit suicide.
- full of awe or reverence: fearful of the Lord.
- showing or caused by fear: fearful behavior.
- extreme in size, intensity, or badness: a fearful head cold; fearful poverty.
Origin of fearful
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. afraid, timid, timorous, apprehensive, uneasy, distrustful; solicitous, anxious, concerned, worried.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fearfully
He is vividly, fearfully aware of how much worse things might get than the rotten, tottering system he upholds.Daenerys Goes to Washington: The Modern Politics of ‘Game of Thrones’
April 8, 2014
In a world screaming at us to lean in, we fearfully crave the experience of leaning out.Dave Eggers, Arcade Fire and Other Hipsters Shun the Internet
September 22, 2013
Equally inevitable, Israel is responding, fearfully, with bullets.Israel: No Peace in Sight
Leslie H. Gelb
May 16, 2011
"It's fearfully hard work, of course," he commented, when she had finished.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
They were fearfully bad, and my face must have shown the impression they made.The Harbor
All too fearfully I divined their preposterous significance.Ruggles of Red Gap
Harry Leon Wilson
Yea, he would curse them bitterly, and swore most fearfully what he would do to them when he found them.Bunyan
James Anthony Froude
Reluctantly, fearfully, distrustfully, Glory paid her guinea and left her address.The Christian
- in a fearful manner
- (intensifier)you're fearfully kind
- having fear; afraid
- causing fear; frightening
- informal very unpleasant or annoyinga fearful cold
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for fearfully
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper