- a boxer; pugilist.
- Military. an aircraft designed to seek out and destroy enemy aircraft in the air and to protect bomber aircraft.
- a person who fights, struggles, resists, etc.
- a person with the will, courage, determination, ability, or disposition to fight, struggle, resist, etc.
- an animal, as a dog, trained to fight or having the disposition to fight.
Origin of fighter
Examples from the Web for fighter
Back then, no one ever imagined needing to beam live video to ground troops from a fighter jet.Newest U.S. Stealth Fighter ‘10 Years Behind’ Older Jets
December 26, 2014
The Islamic State, or ISIS, claims it has shot down a Jordanian fighter jet and captured its pilot.Did ISIS Shoot Down a Fighter Jet?
Jamie Dettmer, Christopher Dickey
December 24, 2014
“Getting a first shot is one thing,” said a former Air Force fighter pilot with extensive experience with Russian weapons.
American fighter planes are the fastest, most maneuverable jets in the world.
Reuters, for instance, reported flatly: “Russian TV channel says photos show MH17 shot down by fighter jet.”Digital Doublethink: Playing Truth or Dare with Putin, Assad and ISIS
Christopher Dickey, Anna Nemtsova
November 16, 2014
I seen some hard times myself, and this boy's father was a fighter, too.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
He was suffering, and chiefly for her, and what a fighter he was!Southern Lights and Shadows
Bismarck inveighs against the ingratitude of kings—A fighter to the end.Blood and Iron
John Hubert Greusel
We cracked up on a fighter strip while bombing with Mustangs.
"You fighter pilots always forget the cameras," the major said sourly.
- a person who fights, esp a professional boxer
- a person who has determination
- military an armed aircraft designed for destroying other aircraft
Word Origin and History for fighter
Old English feohtere; agent noun from fight (v.). Cf. German Fechter. Meaning "fast military airplane used for combat" is from 1917.