- a form of psychotherapy in which the patient receives abrupt and intense, rather than gradual, exposure to a fear-producing situation.
Origin of flooding
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the submerging of land under water, esp due to heavy rain, a lake or river overflowing, etc
- pathol excessive bleeding from the uterus, as following childbirth
- psychol a method of eliminating anxiety in a given situation, by exposing a person to the situation until the anxiety subsides
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A form of desensitization used in behavior therapy in which the patient imagines or is actually exposed to anxiety-producing stimuli.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.