- a combining form with the meanings “fluorine,” “fluoride,” used in the formation of compound words: fluorocarbon.
- a combining form with the meaning “fluorescence,” used in the formation of compound words: fluoroscopy.
Also fluo-; especially before a vowel, fluor-
Origin of fluoro-
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a variant of fluoro- fluorene; fluorine
before a vowel fluor-
- indicating the presence of fluorinefluorocarbon
- indicating fluorescencefluoroscope
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Variant offluoro-
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.