- covered with flyblows: flyblown meat.
- tainted or contaminated; spoiled.
Origin of flyblown
- to deposit eggs or larvae on (meat or other food).
- one of the eggs or young larvae of a blowfly, deposited on meat or other food.
Origin of flyblow
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for flyblown
Valle Crusis has a blacksmith shop and a dirty, flyblown store.On Horseback
Charles Dudley Warner
There was a good deal of muslin about, tied back with flyblown bows.The Story of Louie
Do not eat food that is spoiled, smells or tastes badly or is flyblown or maggoty or full of bugs.Manual of Military Training
James A. Moss
- covered with flyblows
- contaminated; tainted
- (tr) to contaminate, esp with the eggs or larvae of the blowfly; taint
- (usually plural) the egg or young larva of a blowfly, deposited on meat, paper, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012