[fawr-muh n, fohr-]
- a person in charge of a particular department, group of workers, etc., as in a factory or the like.
- the member of a jury selected to preside over and speak for all the jurors on the panel.
Origin of foreman
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a person, often experienced, who supervises other workmenGender-neutral form: supervisor
- law the principal juror, who presides at the deliberations of a juryFemale equivalent: forewoman
- George . born 1949, US boxer: world heavyweight champion (1973–74); retired in 1977 but re-entered the ring in 1987 and won the heavyweight championship in 1994 at age 45
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for foreman-ship
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper