- Mining. to undermine another's digging; search for waste gold in relinquished workings, washing places, etc.
- to search for any object by which to make gain: to fossick for clients.
- to hunt; seek; ferret out.
Origin of fossick
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fossick
- (intr) to search for gold or precious stones in abandoned workings, rivers, etc
- to rummage or search for (something)
C19: Australian, probably from English dialect fussock to bustle about, from fuss
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012