- Saint. Xavier, Saint Francis.
[zey-vee-er, zav-ee-, zey-vyer]
- Saint FrancisFrancisco Javierthe Apostle of the Indies, 1506–52, Spanish Jesuit missionary, especially in India and Japan.
- a male given name: from an Arabic word meaning “bright.”
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Saint Francis Xavier See Xavier
- Saint Francis, known as the Apostle of the Indies. 1506–52, Spanish missionary, who was a founding member of the Jesuit society (1534) and later preached in Goa, Ceylon, the East Indies, and Japan. Feast day: Dec 3
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012