- See under loosestrife(def 1).
- any of various plants belonging to the genus Lysimachia, of the primrose family, having clusters of usually yellow flowers, as L. vulgaris (garden loosestrife) or L. quadrifolia (whorled loosestrife).
- any of several plants belonging to the genus Lythrum, of the loosestrife family.
Compare purple loosestrife.
Origin of loosestrife
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of various primulaceous plants of the genus Lysimachia, esp the yellow-flowered L. vulgaris (yellow loosestrife)See also moneywort
- purple loosestrife a purple-flowered lythraceous marsh plant, Lythrum salicaria
- any of several similar or related plants, such as the primulaceous plant Naumburgia thyrsiflora (tufted loosestrife)
C16: loose + strife, an erroneous translation of Latin lysimachia, as if from Greek lusimakhos ending strife, instead of from the name of the supposed discoverer, Lusimakhos
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012