- to utter mocking or scoffing words; jeer.
- to taunt; deride.
- a taunting or sarcastic remark.
Origin of gibe1
1560–70; perhaps < Middle French giber to handle roughly, shake, derivative of gibe staff, billhook
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. mock, sneer, gird. 2. ridicule, twit, fleer. 3. sneer, scoff, jeer.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to make jeering or scoffing remarks (at); taunt
- a derisive or provoking remark
C16: perhaps from Old French giber to treat roughly, of uncertain origin
- a variant spelling of gybe
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for giber
alternative spelling of jibe.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper