- a limp.
- Usually Disparaging and Offensive. a term used to refer to a person who limps or is lame.
- to limp; walk in a halting manner: a sprain that made her gimp for weeks.
Origin of gimp3
- a tapelike trimming of silk, wool, or cotton, often stiffened with wire
- US and Canadian offensive, slang a physically disabled person, esp one who is lame
- slang a sexual fetishist who likes to be dominated and who dresses in a leather or rubber body suit with mask, zips, and chains
Word Origin and History for gimping
also gymp, ornamental material for trimming dresses, furniture, etc., 1660s, from French guimpe, Old French guimple "wimple, headdress, veil," from a Germanic source (cf. Old High German wimpal).
1925, "a crippled leg," also "a crippled person," perhaps by association with limp, or a corruption of gammy (see game (adj.)).