- a limp.
- Usually Disparaging and Offensive. a term used to refer to a person who limps or is lame.
- to limp; walk in a halting manner: a sprain that made her gimp for weeks.
Origin of gimp3
Examples from the Web for gimpy
How tiresome a reverse fashion show the movie provided in rags, carbuncles, gimpy legs, and bad teeth?Why All the Hate for Les Mis?
January 7, 2013
"Gimpy Gordon's meandering mind is well understood for what it is," he said.
Gimpy Gordon scuttled out of my bailiwick almost on a dead run.
Gimpy looked at Barcelona's stormy face and he grew frightened.
Two of the boys, "Gimpy" and Lem, were conferring aside in an undertone.Children of the Tenements
Jacob A. Riis
Gimpy smiled a little disdainfully at the credulity of the “kids.”Neighbors
Jacob A. Riis
- the US equivalent of gammy
- a tapelike trimming of silk, wool, or cotton, often stiffened with wire
- US and Canadian offensive, slang a physically disabled person, esp one who is lame
- slang a sexual fetishist who likes to be dominated and who dresses in a leather or rubber body suit with mask, zips, and chains
Word Origin and History for gimpy
also gymp, ornamental material for trimming dresses, furniture, etc., 1660s, from French guimpe, Old French guimple "wimple, headdress, veil," from a Germanic source (cf. Old High German wimpal).
1925, "a crippled leg," also "a crippled person," perhaps by association with limp, or a corruption of gammy (see game (adj.)).