- any of numerous alcyonarian corals of the order Gorgonacea, having a usually branching, horny or calcareous skeleton.
- belonging or pertaining to the Gorgonacea.
Origin of Gorgonian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for gorgonian
With fury the features swell; with blood the veins grow black; the eyes flash more wildly than the Gorgonian fires.
- any coral of the order Gorgonacea, having a horny or calcareous branching skeleton: includes the sea fans and red corals
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Gorgonacea
- of or resembling a Gorgon
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012