or GPS, g.p.s.
- gallons per second.
- Global Positioning System: a global system of U.S. navigational satellites developed to provide precise positional and velocity data and global time synchronization for air, sea, and land travel.
- an electronic system that uses these satellites to determine the position of a vehicle, person, etc.: The car is equipped with GPS, so I'm sure we won't get lost.
- a receiver that determines its position by analyzing the satellite signals it receives: When we go on hikes, we use a GPS.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for gps
Or Sensoria, a new athletic-wear company whose socks have GPS and whose shirts have a fitness tracker built into the bra.Wearables Hit the Runway at Fashion Week
September 11, 2014
He had a list of delegates and would plug in their addresses in his GPS and go house to house to house.The Bizarro World Of Iowa’s GOP Convention
June 23, 2014
He requested a GPS device from the Americans and radio frequencies to transmit information back to the U.S. forces.CIA Chief, White House Chief of Staff Long Argued the Taliban 5 Could Go Free
Josh Rogin, Eli Lake
June 7, 2014
Played by Rudolph and Fred Armisen, they are the voices of the GPS system in cars.Can Maya Rudolph Save the Variety Show?
May 20, 2014
It also seems odd that a project praising the map would be so categorically troubled by GPS.Crazy Cartography: Artists and Writers Conjure a Slew of Imaginative Maps
April 13, 2014
Cellular telephony places us on the map of the world as precisely as the global positioning system (GPS) deployed on satellites.The Civilization of Illiteracy
- global positioning system
- (in Australia) Great Public Schools; used of a group of mainly nonstate schools, and of sporting competitions between them
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Abbreviation of Global Positioning System
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.