- to make a grating sound; scrape harshly; grate; grind.
- to pierce or cut.
- a griding or grating sound.
Origin of gride
1350–1400; Middle English; metathetic variant of gird2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (intr) literary to grate or scrape harshly
- obsolete to pierce or wound
- literary a harsh or piercing sound
C14: variant of girde gird ²
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012