- covered with hair; having much hair.
- consisting of or resembling hair: moss of a hairy texture.
- causing anxiety or fright: a hairy trip through the rapids.
- full of hardship or difficulty: a hairy exam; a hairy illness.
Origin of hairy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. furry, woolly, shaggy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hairier
But it was larger and hairier than the glass one he had seen at the gift store.The Perfectionists
Even the hands of the sprawled form seemed larger and hairier than the hands of her husband.The Calm Man
Frank Belknap Long
He looks like an intoxicated pterodactyl,” said Mr. Lonergan, who had some knowledge of prehistoric animals,—“only hairier.Philo Gubb Correspondence-School Detective
Ellis Parker Butler
- having or covered with hair
- difficult or problematic
- scaring, dangerous, or exciting
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hairier
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Covered with hair or hairlike projections.
- Consisting of or resembling hair.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.