- covered with hair; having much hair.
- consisting of or resembling hair: moss of a hairy texture.
- causing anxiety or fright: a hairy trip through the rapids.
- full of hardship or difficulty: a hairy exam; a hairy illness.
Origin of hairy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. furry, woolly, shaggy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hairiness
Porter finds that loving a hirsute man is also about accepting the mixed messages his hairiness might imply.An Ode to Shaggy Men
October 23, 2009
This varies a good deal in hairiness and there are several varieties.
They are occasionally white and the plants vary in size and hairiness.
Fuzz, or hairiness, usually occurs on the wire side of the sheet.From Paper-mill to Pressroom
William Bond Wheelwright
Hairiness of foot-soles in type slightly less than shown in figure 20.American Weasels
E. Raymond Hall
Usually the hairiness of the Oblong Woodsia is very pronounced.How to Know the Ferns
S. Leonard Bastin
- having or covered with hair
- difficult or problematic
- scaring, dangerous, or exciting
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hairiness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Covered with hair or hairlike projections.
- Consisting of or resembling hair.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.