- within easy reach; conveniently available; accessible: The aspirins are handy.
- convenient or useful: A typewriter is a handy thing to have in the house.
- skillful with the hands; deft; dexterous: a handy person.
- easily maneuvered: a handy ship.
Origin of handy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
3. all-round; versatile. 4. manageable, wieldy; yare.
3. See dexterous.
- W(illiam) C(hristopher),1873–1958, U.S. blues composer.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for handy
There was a handy distraction in the Che t-shirt the tourist was wearing while celebrating the death.The Life and Hard Times Of The Family A Cuban Defector Left Behind
December 19, 2014
Before Cuba was shunned and sanctioned, it was a handy place for the randy.Will Hyman Roth Return to Havana With Normalized Relations?
John L. Smith
December 18, 2014
You should look at our summary of benefits,” she continued, directing me to a handy online chart of “coverage examples.Despite ObamaCare, US Health System Still a Complete Mess
October 11, 2014
She also was handy, hammering nails into walls and using a heat gun to chisel glue off the floor.The Wonderful Weirdness of Christine McConnell, Queen of Creepy Cookies
July 9, 2014
Every day we not only have the new news but old news, with a handy, retrospective round number attached to it.Memory Porn: America’s Obscene Anniversary Obsession
June 17, 2014
If half what they say is true, you're a handy lad with the guns.Way of the Lawless
This was accomplished in 1845, when Mr. Handy made his final settlement.Cleveland Past and Present
I can rig up a handy horse-stall with my spare spars and the grating.Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
I set my boots and Bud's side by side, where they'd be handy.Tom Sawyer, Detective
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
I fastened my closed lantern to my belt and put my revolver in a handy pocket.The Prisoner of Zenda
- conveniently or easily within reach
- easy to manoeuvre, handle, or usea handy tool
- skilful with one's hands
- W (illiam) C (hristopher). 1873–1958, US blues musician and songwriter, esp noted for the song "St Louis Blues"
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for handy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with handy
see come in handy.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.