- the original form of rock-'n'-roll, basically dependent on a consistently loud and strong beat.
Compare soft rock.
Origin of hard rock
First recorded in 1965–70
- (loosely) of or relating to igneous or metamorphic rocks, as in mining (hard-rock mining) and geology (hard-rock geology).
Compare soft-rock geology.
Origin of hard-rock
First recorded in 1920–25
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of mining) concerned with extracting minerals other than coal, usually from solid rock
- slang a tough uncompromising man
- music a rhythmically simple and usually highly amplified style of rock and roll
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012