[hur-bey-shuh s, ur-]
- of, relating to, or characteristic of an herb; herblike.
- (of plants or plant parts)
- not woody.
- having the texture, color, etc., of an ordinary foliage leaf.
Origin of herbaceous
1640–50; < Latin herbāceus grassy, like grass, equivalent to herb(a) grass, herbs + -āceus -aceous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for herbaceous
It is not overtly hoppy, and the herbaceous, citrusy notes replace any bitter ones.
They are vinous, herbaceous, and reminiscent of sourdough yeast starter.
We sampled dozens of olive varieties, ranging from light and briny to cured and herbaceous.Into the Heart of Turkey
September 28, 2010
Like the former, it was a herbaceous plant, but of a very different appearance.The Quadroon
"Chum, you bounder," I shout, as he is about to wade through the herbaceous border.Happy Days
Alan Alexander Milne
And their herbaceous border, even now, is a blaze of colour.Christmas Roses and Other Stories
Anne Douglas Sedgwick
He instances Ricinus, which is an herbaceous annual with us, but a tree in other countries31.Herbals, Their Origin and Evolution
A great variety prevails there of herbaceous or frutescent plants.The Desert World
- designating or relating to plants or plant parts that are fleshy as opposed to woodya herbaceous plant
- (of petals and sepals) green and leaflike
- of or relating to herbs
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for herbaceous
1640s, from Latin herbaceus, from herba (see herb).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A flowering plant whose stem does not produce woody tissue and generally dies back at the end of each growing season. Both grasses and forbs are herbs.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.