- a pimple.
- a reddish mark left on the skin by a passionate kiss.
- any device or gadget whose name is not known or is momentarily forgotten.
- Electricity. a fitting used to mount a lighting fixture in an outlet box or on a pipe or stud.
- a tool used to bend tubes and pipes.
Origin of hickey
Examples from the Web for hickie
Kekewich and Hickie had combined their forces at the beginning of February.The Great Boer War
Arthur Conan Doyle
In fact, but for the interest taken by General Hickie it would have been impossible.The Irish on the Somme
Cuthbert, seedy, was relieved by Hickie in command of the 13th Brigade to-day.The Doings of the Fifteenth Infantry Brigade
Edward Lord Gleichen
- US and Canadian informal an object or gadget: used as a name when the correct name is forgotten, etc; doodah
- US and Canadian informal a mark on the skin, esp a lovebite
- printing a spot on a printed sheet caused by an imperfection or a speck on the printing plate
Word Origin and History for hickie
"love bite; mark on skin made by biting or sucking during foreplay or sex," 1934; earlier "pimple, skin lesion" (c.1915); perhaps a sense extension and spelling variation from earlier word meaning "small gadget, device; any unspecified object" (1909, cf. doohickey, still used in this sense).