- (of a building) having a comparatively large number of stories and equipped with elevators: a high-rise apartment house.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of high-rise buildings.
- of or being a small-wheeled bicycle with high handlebars and a banana-shaped seat.
- Also high rise, high-riser. a high-rise apartment or office building.
Origin of high-rise
First recorded in 1950–55
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (prenominal)of or relating to a building that has many storeys, esp one used for flats or officesa high-rise block Compare low-rise
- (as noun)a high-rise in Atlanta
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012