- a city in and the capital of the Solomon Islands, N Guadalcanal.
- (used with a plural verb) an archipelago in the W Pacific Ocean, E of New Guinea; important World War II battles; politically divided between Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
- (used with a singular verb) an independent country comprising the larger, SE part of this archipelago: a former British protectorate; gained independence in 1978. 11,458 sq. mi. (29,676 sq. km). Capital: Honiara (on Guadalcanal).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for honiara
William and Kate were supposed to wear a handmade shirt and traditional dress to the event in Honiara on 16 September.Row Erupts Over Kate's Dress
September 27, 2012
On September 16 the Duke and Duchess will make their way to Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands.Kate To Take Personal Hairdresser On Tour
August 31, 2012
- the capital of the Solomon Islands, on NW Guadalcanal Island. Pop: 61 000 (2005 est)
- an independent state in the SW Pacific comprising an archipelago extending for almost 1450 km (900 miles) in a northwest–southeast direction: the northernmost islands of the archipelago (Buka and Bougainville) form part of Papua New Guinea; the main islands are Guadalcanal, Malaita, San Cristobal, New Georgia, Santa Isabel, and Choiseul: a member of the Commonwealth. Official language: English. Religion: Christian majority. Currency: Solomon Islands dollar. Capital: Honiara. Pop: 597 248 (2013 est). Area: 29 785 sq km (11 500 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012