- given for honor only, without the usual requirements, duties, privileges, emoluments, etc.: The university presented the new governor with an honorary degree.
- holding a title or position conferred for honor only: an honorary president.
- (of an obligation) depending on one's honor for fulfillment.
- conferring or commemorating honor or distinction.
- given, made, or serving as a token of honor: an honorary gift.
Origin of honorary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for honorary
Congress unanimously passed a bill to make Bernardo de Galvez an honorary citizen of the United States in 2014.Nazis, Sunscreen, and Sea Gull Eggs: Congress in 2014 Was Hella Productive
December 29, 2014
Bratton now announced that he was appointing Ramos an honorary chaplain at the 84th Precinct where he was assigned.Choking Back Tears, Thousands of Cops Honor Fallen Officer Ramos
December 28, 2014
An Australian woman in her late twenties told me she was an “honorary Jew” with no actual Jewish heritage.
Most of the vendors were, like this woman, honorary Jews for the night, not that Jews have a monopoly on potato pancakes.
Irishman Bob Geldof was famously made an honorary knight for his work for Live Aid.WTF Is Damgelina Doing At The Palace?
October 11, 2014
“Honorary,” muttered the Assistant Commissioner through his teeth.The Secret Agent
In 1875 he was created an honorary member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.Heroes of the Telegraph
Some years ago, your good town did me the honour of making me an honorary Burgess.The Letters of Robert Burns
"Why, you've been made an honorary member of the athletic committee," Ned went on.Frank Roscoe's Secret
After her death in 1896 the office of honorary president was abolished.
- (esp of a position, title, etc) held or given only as an honour, without the normal privileges or dutiesan honorary degree
- (of a secretary, treasurer, etc) unpaid
- having such a position or title
- depending on honour rather than legal agreement
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for honorary
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper